Thursday, April 11, 2013

Natural Elements Make the Best Crafts!

Meet Jim Steiner...
I'm a retired city employee and have done woodworking and remodeling since the '70s. My wood turning was an off and on thing until I retired 8 years ago when I got more serious about it. 
Having accumulated a good many turnings, I decided I would "test the waters" and sell some of my work. This show will be my first attempt to do so.
  
The creativity of wood turning and bringing out the natural beauty of a piece of wood is what makes the hobby so enjoyable. Sometimes I put a piece of wood on the lathe and start cutting with a shape in mind but change it as I see a different shape emerging and end up with something quite different. 
I never thought of my work as having a message, I just want to bring out the beauty of wood's color and grain patterns.

Meet Shana Ericson of 1Love Candles, LLC...
Hi, my name is Shana, and I am the creator of 1Love Candles LLC! I live in Chardon, Ohio with my boyfriend and two daughters, who are the light of my life! We have two fur babies-one is a Dalmatian, and a champion show dog! In our family, we believe in living an environmentally conscious lifestyle, helping the earth, so it can help us.
I have been making candles as a hobby for years, and about 6 months ago I decided to create a business! This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft show, and I am extremely excited about it! We plan on doing more of them in the near future! 

As a crafter, I have always been drawn to the idea of creating light. Candles bring light to the dark, and to me that is an amazing and beautiful creation.
I have always loved candles, especially intense-scented candles! I started creating candles as a hobby, being something that could satisfy the creativity craving in my life. Being an environmentalist, I noticed a lot of left over wax being wasted, thrown into the landfill. I had an idea to recycle the leftover wax, and create new, beautifully scented candles of my own. We use hemp wicks, which are said to be the most eco-friendly, cleanest wick out there. We also use recycled packaging. Making candles is something that my daughters and I can do together. They help me weigh all of the wax and package the candles.

Currently, I make chunk candles. To make these candles, I put chunks of wax in either a jar or mold, and I pour white wax over them, creating a unique look and allowing the chunks of wax to provide a wonderful scent throw! I love lighting a candle and being taken to a special place within the scent!
In 5 years, I see myself making more candles than ever before, sharing my wonderful scents with as many people as possible!

The message behind my work is, sometimes this world can be a dark place, so by lighting candles, we not only bring light to the dark, but we also can remember loved ones, celebrate births, and celebrate peace and wholeness. Lighting candles provide an unlimited amount of meaning, and to me that is more beautiful than words can say. “I don’t make the candles, the candles make me.”

Visit our website for more information www.1lovecandles.com 


Meet Tracey Hlucky of Redesign on a Dime...
Science has a theory that a person is more geared towards the right brain or the left brain…right brain being related to science and logic, and left brain to creativity and artistic ability. So, do you have to be one or the other? No way!

With a degree in Biology/Chemistry, my right brain runs my daytime life with a successful career in the medical field. But my left brain gave me the inspiration to start my business, Redesign on a Dime. What started as an interior decorating business in 2010 has blossomed into a full line of custom-made home accessories.  
Over the years, I have helped people transform their spaces with wall treatments, one-of-a-kind furniture restorations, and finding that one unique accessory that will inspire the décor of an entire room. I hope that my jewelry organizers, memo boards, and hand-painted accessories will be that distinctive piece that will make your space shine. 

I have been interested in interior design for as long as I can remember. Instead of just playing with my Barbie dolls like most girls, I redecorated her townhouse every week! This will be my first Avant-Garde Arts & Craft Show, and I couldn’t be more excited! 
I’m inspired by everything around me, but I must admit that I’m a true HGTV and DIY Network junkie! I love trying to recreate what I’ve seen on home improvement shows, magazines, or from items displayed in home stores. 
Growing up as the daughter of an artist, it was a bit discouraging that I couldn’t even draw a decent stick figure. But, as I got older, I realized that my creative talent just came in a different form. I have a unique eye for color, space planning and design that I’ve used in my own home to create a comfortable space that tells you exactly who I am when you walk through the door.
 My creative process is very meticulous (there’s that right brain again)! Once I get an idea in my head, I can’t sleep until I get it out there and completed. I love seeing the finished product of something I’ve created. But, most of all, I love the excitement I see in my clients when I make their vision come to life!  

I would love to make this my full-time business and eventually open a small shop here in Akron. My dream is to combine my living and working spaces so that my clients feel right at home when they come to me to create their custom home accessories or redesign their space. 
It just takes one special item to inspire the décor of an entire room. Your goal in decorating should not be to make your space look exactly like someone else’s, but to make it uniquely YOU!

2012 Summit County Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, April 28, 2013, 11:00am-5:00pm
The Tangier
532 West Market St.
Akron, OH 44303
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:














No comments:

Post a Comment