Friday, December 18, 2015

It's Show Time!

Meet Carolina Losada from Needles...
I am Carolina Losada, and I am currently working as an au Pair in Ohio, my mom is Gloria and she started doing scarves and hats before I was born 24 years ago, she decided to knit and designed clothes because I am the only girl between my two brothers, and she made everything for me when I was little. It is going to be our first craft show and we are so excited!

We think this is a good way of let people know about my mom´s work, she gets inspired in her creations with her 6 grandsons and granddaughters, she likes to read magazines about the new fashion for kids and try to do something new that could fit with it. My mom and I want our business to grow up more and spread it out in other countries :)
We want to let grown ups and kids know about the importance and the power of your dreams, it doesn't matter how old or young you are there is not a specific time to work hard for them, and pursue your dreams everyday, my mom and I believe that working together as family we can reach our goals.  

The message behind our work is be happy, proud and yourself in everything you want to do in your life.

Meet Uma Maheswari from Ahilu Arts...
I'm Uma, from Tamilnad, India. First daughter in family. Did my B.Tech in information technology & MBA in human resources and was working in IBM India. Came to US as dependent after marriage in 2013. There started my journey of crochet. I was pregnant in July 2013. Since I was bored being idle in home, like most mothers, I too started making sweater, blanket, beanies for my baby. Later it kept on going and here I am doing this for two and half years now. 

What inspires me to create.. 'Happiness is Handmade' I personally feel this motto. Though we have elegant and expensive dress or accessories for any special occasions, it really gives immense pleasure to have something personally made for ourselves. When I first saw my son wearing the sweater I made for him, my happiness has no boundaries and it increases each time. This is what inspires me the most. 
How I discovered my talent.. My first plan was only to make a sweater for my baby. But to my surprise I enjoyed each stitch and so happy to see the finished product. Then I made a set with blanket, beanie, mittens and shoes. I got lot more appreciation from everyone and few of my friends order for their babies and asked me for teaching crochet. When I panicked to do this as business, my husband is the one who believes in me and encouraged me to go for it.  He's the one who discovered my talent before I do and understood how much I enjoy doing this. Now With humbleness I can say I'm quite talented with satisfied customers and students as well. 
My creative process... For a year, I was making the products of available patterns as the orders come with the pictures. Later I started trying to make my own patterns for small items. I did make a carseat organizer as free hand and few baby dresses for which I had the choice to select the design. I usually combine two three patterns or try out a pattern for different product. All I know is, you'll find something new each time you explore different things. And that's the important thing to be creative.

My five year plan.. I'm not sure if I will be in US or in India after 5 years. But no matter where I will be, I will have my own boutique with wide range of choices of crochet items for babies, toddlers, girls, women plus their own choice of custom order. I also would like to teach crochet for interested people professionally with dedicated place and a structured curriculum. May the Almighty bless me to do so.
The message being my work is that Everyone deserves to be special' We all have a very special person in our lives and we'll be special to someone. I personally feel that handmade is an wonderful way to express that they are very special to us. 

I'd also like to take this as an opportunity to thank my lovely husband 'KumaR' who has been the backbone of my business and my beloved son 'Ahilan' after who 'AhiluArts' was named. And thanks to you Becki for this. It really helps me to have a self review and know where I stand. 

Meet Robyn Martins from Homegrown Shadowbox Art...

At Homegrown Shadowbox Art, I work with a variety of materials to feature poetry, snippets of literature and other sentiments, and I set my favorite topics inside shadow boxes. This is my second Avant-Garde show.

As a lover of words, a poet and former creative director, I have always been drawn to ink on paper. Since I received my first paycheck as a teenage babysitter (years ago!), I began collecting old books from various book shops, carefully setting them on shelves and moving them with me to new shelves over the years along with my most prized possessions. In fact, some of these books ARE my most prized possessions. 

But some of them have deteriorated, and some I have begun to recognize as having more value when disassembled and paired with other things like aromatic roots from the neighbor's yard, feathers that have fallen from passing birds or bark that my birch trees have shed. And I have discovered the value of fitting all of these things into shadow boxes, giving them renewed life and relevant meaning.



More recently, a variety of sources have yielded vintage magazines along with more old books, and the stories and advertisements from past eras inspire my work as well. Sometimes all it takes is an ad for ladies' corsets or a new house plan from a 1934 issue of "Women's Home Companion" to spark the setting of a new box, new with old material, new with old ideas of the ideal life.

Each box I create is a world of its own—imagine climbing into the scene, parting the foliage for a better view, stepping lightly on the coiled prose for a place to take in the details. Then imagine these boxed worlds sitting on one of your own shelves or hanging in the perfect spot on your own wall.

Meet Simone Lindsay from Simi Lindsay..
Simi Lindsay Luxury Scented Soy Candles are made with 100% natural eco soy wax, a natural wooden wick made from organic wood or 100% cotton wicks, and high quality phtalate free fragrance oils, assuring you receive a cleaner burning, longer lasting, richly scented soy candle. Our candles are non-toxic, eco-friendly and water soluble. Since the candles are made with natural ingredients, the containers can be safely repurposed after cleaning with soap and hot water. SIMI LINDSAY brand Soy candles are a green, healthy choice for sharing and enjoying your favorite scents.
I have always been very interested in arts and crafts and I got inspired by another candle maker in Pennsylvania. I wanted to create candles with unique scents and with the environment in mind.

The creative process is to hand select each fragrance and to develop a candle that is handcrafted one at a time.
My five year goal.. I will see the business growing as an online business and wholesale business to other businesses by offering private label options.

My message is to create clean, eco friendly products that are enjoyed by people.

Meet Bryn Young from Larry and Boo's Emporium...
I am a fabric junkie and an inveterate DIY-er.  I always had decorating and sewing projects going on the weekends, and when I was off work having babies, I dabbled I. The craft show market and loved it.  But alas I had to go back to work and my projects returned to the weekends.  Despite being a single mom, working full time, and traveling for my job several times a year I still managed to keep my creative life alive.  When I retired in 2008 I finally got to focus on my creativity full time.

I began crafting as my main activity in 2008 in Florida where I had retired.  My neighborhood had a local farmers'/craft market every week so I started making little girls' dresses and stuffed owls and was pretty successful! We also do special orders! We have done a complete nursery, custom animals, custom yoga wall hangings, upholstery and curtains.
What inspires me is Fabric, fabric, fabric!!! I adore fabrics, so I have to make things so I can use the fabric I acquire.  I just see a fabric and know it is meant to be a certain animal or wall hanging to piece of clothing.  Also my customers.  They love that I use recycled (thrifted or donated), some vintage, fabrics and coordinate them in unexpected wants.  When they ask for an animal they don't see, I design one for the next show.  Sometimes the hardest decision is what to display on a 6 or 8 foot table because I have such a diverse menagerie.

How I discovered my talent.. My Mom (now gone) was always talented.  She upholstered our furniture and made most of my clothes, and when I had children, she made theirs.  She taught me to sew when I was in 7th grade.  I discovered my talent for sewing and decorating through her coaching.
My creative process.. Because I do so many shows now, I kind of have an assembly line.  I used to make each item individually, but it became inefficient.  So I savor each step:  shopping or sorting fabric, deciding what project for each, making a design, assembling all the "bling" that goes with the item.  After I have a group of "kits", I sew them.  I usually stuff while watching TV at night.
My five year goal.. I hope my following with grow and I will continue to create new patterns, product lines, etc., but quite honestly I don't have a major business plan.  I had to plan, schedule, go to meetings, budget, supervise others, write reports for 40 years, and now  I just want to create and share my creations with others.  My business provides fun money for tee times and dinners out and travel with friends.  That's more than enough for my "golden years".

My message behind my work is that cuteness and cuddlingwhimsey and fun, are crucial components of life for children AND adults; that spending $10 or $20 on something that makes you smile and may have no particular function, is OKAY! 

Meet Alena Ruman from Hodgepodge Knits...
My grandma taught me how to knit when I was in elementary school. But I lost interest and did other things. In high school, I took a crafts class with a knitting unit. I picked it up again right away and have been expanding my skill set ever since.

I love creating new patterns and combining new stitch combinations. I am what you would call an ADD knitter. I would be driven insane if I limited myself to the same 5 projects over and over again. That is exactly why my shop is called Hodgepodge Knits. Each item is unique and may never be seen again in the shop. I also sell original patterns so that you can be inspired too!
While I am ADD with the projects I create, when the needles are in my hands I can get very OCD! I notice every mistake I make, even if it is just 1 twisted stitch, and fix it on the spot. Rest assured, every product that passes through my hands are of the highest quality possible.


2015 Fairlawn Winterl Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, December 19, 2015
10:00am-5:00pm
St. George's Fellowship Center
3204 Ridgewood Rd.
Fairlawn, OH 44333
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN




No comments:

Post a Comment