Monday, May 1, 2017

Fairlawn Spring Show Coming to Town!

Meet Dick and Linda Byrd from The Byrd House...
This is the first Avant-Garde Craft show for Dick and Linda Byrd. They began doing craft shows about 18 years ago when they set up at the Atwood Fall Festival near Carrollton, Ohio. For many years this 3-day show was the only show they did. Dick made free-standing hutches. shelves, corner cupboards, side tables, and bookcases, as well as many smaller wooden items.  Dick was working at a full-time job, so this was more like an enjoyable hobby for them. 
As Dick and Linda reached their “Medicare” years, they realized that lugging the heavy bookcases and cupboards to the show was becoming a chore, so Dick began looking for other things to make in his wood shop - smaller items easier to carry.  He began making bandsaw boxes, cheese slicers, cutting boards, wine racks, wine bottle balances, jewelry boxes, and then his special wooden bowls. All the items are made with a variety of woods and then carefully finished. These new items have been very well received - so much that the Byrds have added 5 or 6 new shows to their calendar. Dick loves to create these unique items, and he works in his shop every day to keep up with the shows and the demand from word-of-mouth interest.
Dick’s creative talent started in a high school wood shop over 50 years ago, and it has really become his passion in the past few years.
Sales have taken Dick’s products into several states and around the world to Norway, Iceland, Australia, Slovakia, and most notably Italy, to an archbishop in the Vatican. His biggest challenge was an order for 140 bowls to be given as client Chistmas gifts. He filled the order and the gifts were much appreciated. 

Meet Pamela Lemons from Mostly Maille...
My name is Pamela Lemons and I am the owner/designer of Mostly Maille.  I make fine chainmaille and fused Argentium(r) Silver jewelry.  I work from my home studio, formerly our guest bedroom.  My husband suggested that we move the guest bed to my daughter's room when no one could use it due to all my various metalworking, display, and shipping supplies piled on it.  We moved the bed, I added a few more work spaces, and my studio was born!

I've always been pretty crafty and started making jewelry around 2004-2005.  One of my beading magazines had instructions on how to make a simple chainmaille bracelet (a 2-in-1 weave) with big hole beads.  I was instantly hooked!  My chainmaille obsession began and grew.  I played with Aluminum and Copper jump rings first as they are inexpensive.  Once I became experienced with those metals, I tried other metals.  One of the metals I learned about during my experimentation period was Argentium(r) Silver, a newer alloy of sterling silver.  (Read more about Argentium(r) below.)  I also use Gold Filled and Rose Gold Filled metals in my chainmaille jewelry.  Besides using Argentium(r) for my chainmaille jump rings, I discovered the alloy's combination of fine Silver, Copper, and Germanium can be fused to itself with yellow flux and a torch.  I can bend wire and sheet metal Argentium(r) and fuse it together into just about any design I want.  I've been experimenting with PMC (Precious Metal Clay), too.  It's so fun to play with clay, heat it, and have it turn into metal.  I can't wait to start adding PMC to my chainmaille and fused Argentium(r) designs!

[About Argentium(r) Silver: Argentium(r) has more fine silver (93.5% vs the usual 92.5%), the silver is reclaimed or recycled rather than newly mined, has less Copper, and an element called Germanium.  When you gently heat Argentium(r), the Germanium rises to the surface of the metal as an oxide (Germanium Oxide).  This oxide layer helps keep the Copper from tarnishing and turning the metal black.  When Argentium(r) tarnishes, it turns a golden yellow-brown rather than black, and the tarnish can be wiped away with Windex and a soft cloth.  It's an amazing metal!  Argentium(r) also does not require solder to connect pieces together.  The alloy's combination of fine Silver, Copper, and Germanium can be fused to itself with just yellow flux and a torch.]
 What inspires me.. My customers give me some of the best ideas.  Whether it's size preferences, metal preferences, or design suggestions, the ideas that my customers come up with have become some of my best selling pieces.

As much as I like my jewelry to be symmetrical, my creative process is very messy.  It takes a lot of different ring sizes to create my designs, and I don't always put the rings back where they belong if I don't use them.
In 5 years, I would like to expand to participating in shows beyond Ohio and Michigan.  Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania are all on my radar.  My husband has plans to retire around that time, so it's possible he'll become my roadie and traveling companion.  My online store, www.MostlyMaille.com, should be firmly established within 5 years, too.

The message behind my work is that quality jewelry can be affordable.  I do everything I can to make my jewelry affordable for my customers.  I want them to buy it, take it home, and enjoy wearing it.

Meet Barb Hubert from Eagle Wings Art... 
Hi, my name is Barb Hubert and I am a retired Cat Scan Tech for over 5 years now and I was lost!  I was looking for a purpose and hobby after I retired, and I thought I would try watercolor, because I’ve always loved these paintings.  After just 1 year with a friend/teacher, I took off and now after only 5 years and never painting a day before that, have over 200 + original watercolor paintings, plus prints of my paintings and print blank notecards.  I feel this is a gift that God has given me, so I give back to Him!  40% of my profits go to help, The Cleveland Pregnancy Center or the Bible League Int’l.  I love painting, using different mediums, like real leaves, salt, saran wrap and anything else to make my paintings different and unique! I love to experiment!  I am inspired by all of nature around me, and I marvel at the works of God! I, always, always have a painting in process! I can see a scene as I drive along somewhere and I want to paint it!  You will find birds, animals, owls, landscapes, children’s art, modern and abstract art from my business, plus I will have new and beautiful spring and summer birds and floral paintings!
I’m putting a lot of work and effort into building my business, as I feel this is one of my purposes and gifts God has given me.  I hope my business grows, and I can just give back more to God!
I have participated in many previous Avant-Garde shows and love how they are advertised, and the wide variety of customers they bring in! I plan on being in most of the Spring Avant-Garde Shows!  Hope to see you there!

Meet Becky Rook from B Rook Creations...
My name is Becky Rook - I was born in Youngstown, OH - Soon to be 60 years of age and do not act or look it! (I inherited that from my mom and her mom) I just moved back to the area from CO were I have family that lives out there. My craft business really took off out their. Doing Farmers Markets, Weddings, and Art Fairs! You can say that I left my mark there and am still getting calls to come back!!!!!

I have been crafting for as long as I can remember. I started out learning from my Grammy,  I started out on how to make those famous pot holders!! And then the rest is history. Between her and my mom (which was her mother) I learned quite a lot..... and am thankful for every minute that I had with both of them.
What inspires me.. Knowing that people can have a little part of me! It's nice to create something, and know that it was made right here in America! I also love to see the look on someone's face when they buy something of mine and know that it will go to a home that someone is appreciative of what it took to make that!  love working with my hands, and seeing what becomes of what ever I'm making!

How I got into my craft.. I have tried a lot of differ ant things. Between my Grammy and my mom, (and teaching myself) that is where it began.
My creative process.. Trial and error and a lot of thinking things through. Seeing what will work and what won't.

The message behind my work.. Like my business cards say - "Unique - Raw - Edgy - I do not make just one of an item - When you come to my table, I have a shop of differ ant items that you can choose from, not just one thing. That's why I push myself to learn as much as I can. Also when I make my items, I make them to sell, it is all from scratch. And I put soooo much pride in my work! If I would not buy it, I would not want someone else too!

2017 Fairlawn Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, May 13, 2017
St. George's Fellowship Centre
3204 Ridgewood Rd.
Fairlawn, OH 44333
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
FACEBOOK
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment