Thursday, April 25, 2013

Crafters Inspired By Color

Meet Marie McGlathery from Paper Planet Wearables...
I have always loved jewelry, but felt that there just was not enough affordable handmade jewelry out there. My definition of handmade is jewelry that includes elements that are created by the hands of the artist such as glass beads, clay beads, or in my case, PAPER BEADS!
Making jewelry out of paper allows me to recycle and keep my prices low so that everyone can enjoy multiple pieces from Paper Planet! My jewelry is made from recycled paper beads that are hand-rolled from various sources of paper including: junk mail, abandoned posters, flyers, magazine pages, postcards, scrapbook paper scraps and yes…even cardboard cup warmers. 
After their transformation, my beads are sealed with two coats of acrylic. This creates a water-resistant shell and increases the longevity of each piece. After the acrylic processing, the recycled paper beads are combined with various types of accent beads and pendants to create the Paper Planet Wearables jewelry collection. 
I take great pride in my work and see each necklace, bracelet, and pair of earrings as having its own unique personality. A piece from Paper Planet Wearables can make the perfect eco-friendly accent to any outfit and is sure to elicit comments from friends, family, coworkers, your dental hygienist, or even friendly strangers passing by.

Meet Brittany Christmas from Punchdrunkstars...

I'm Brittany. I graduated from Kent State a few years ago with a degree in English. I started crafting as a kid, but have become more involved in the last few years. In the last year and a half, I put together my own little business, Punchdrunkstars. When I'm not working on creations for Punchdrunkstars you can usually find me at my day job, going on random adventures with my husband, or playing with my two pet rabbits. This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. I'm really looking forward to it! 
Everything inspires me to create. I'll see things that will give me ideas all the time and then just kind of file them for later. My grandma taught me how to crochet when I was in elementary school. For a good duration of time that was what I mainly did as far as crafting. In the last few years I have branched out into other crafts, but I still do like crocheting and still do it quite a bit. 
My creative process, more often than not, is organized chaos. I know that sounds strange, but I learned pretty early on in my life that I work the best under pressure. Organized chaos has proven to provide me with just enough pressure to be productive and have good results.
The message behind my work is happiness. I tend to use a lot of bright colors. I also try to make things that will appeal to people in the sense that they will get some sort of enjoyment or happiness from the creation. I've always done a lot of handmade gifts for birthdays, Christmas and so forth. Throughout the years I've gotten a lot of positive feedback, which encouraged me to pursue crafting as more than just a "seasonal" activity. Ideally in five years I will still be doing what I'm currently doing (selling at shows, stores, online, etc), but with some growth and perhaps a bit more establishment. 

2012 Summit County Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, April 28, 2013, 11:00am-5:00pm
The Tangier
532 West Market St.
Akron, OH 44303
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment