Friday, October 17, 2014

24 Hours and Counting!

Meet Cathie Byers from Body Love Salt, LLC...
My name is Cathie Byers and I am the sole proprietor of Body Love Salt Scrub, LLC. I am originally from San Diego, California (long story how we ended up in Ohio). I have always been creative in some way. Although, after my children were grown and out of the house I became stagnant. I was not able to think of anything to do that would give me that creative outlet I craved. 

Last winter I started looking for ways to help battle dry flakey skin. There are so many chemicals in most products on the market and I just wanted something that was healthy and beneficial. After having all my friends, family and their friends try all my concoctions I knew I had something to share with everyone.

I love knowing that what I make is helping people do something good for their bodies. I have friends who use the unscented on their eczema and it is the only thing they have used that has helped. It also works wonders on razor burn and ingrown hairs.
Hopefully, I will one day have a platform where I can sell Body Love Salt Scrub in retail stores and boutique hotels.s and I am the sole proprietor of Body Love Salt Scrub, LLC. 

Hopefully, I will one day have a platform where I can sell Body Love Salt Scrub in retail stores and boutique hotels.

Meet Theresa Cho from Theresa Cho Designs...
My name is Theresa Cho, I'm originally from Philadelphia PA and have recently moved to the Columbus area. I have a background in Fashion Design and was on an episode of TLC's 'Who's Wedding is it Anyway' as an Assistant Bridal Designer. When the economy took a turn, I changed careers to jewelry design. I get mistaken for 10 years younger all the time. I don't get it, but I guess it's a good thing.
I was an Engagement ring designer/jeweler for the largest jewelry store in the tri-state area (Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Delaware) for 4 years before I decided to start my own line of costume jewelry and accessories. I Started my own line a little over 2 years ago.
I participated in my first craft show at the Columbus Avant-Garde & Craft Show in September. It was a very different experience for me and I really enjoyed it.  I had my own store last year and I found the craft show to be very different from retail.
My inspiration, honestly, is that I love all things sparkly.  Maybe it's a Philly thing, but I love everything cute, sparkly and unique. I'm an extremely visual person. I get these ideas of things I want and I make them. When I was little my first book I decided to read was a children's encyclopedia on gems and minerals.  English is my second language, so I was able to bring my own book to my ESL class. My teacher was surprised I chose an encyclopedia, but it was the photos that fascinated me and I wanted to learn more about them.
I wouldn't consider the jewelry design a craft hobby because I did it as a full time career.  I do make hair accessories for little girls and that definitely fits in as a hobby of mine.  I'm at that age where all of my friends are having babies and I have the baby fever thing going. I started by make them as gifts, and people loved them so much I made them to sell at my store.

I have been making things since I was little.  I had a great big imagination and I would take scraps of paper and fabric and make my dolls clothes. I am pretty good at making all sorts of things. Except making food.
I often see things and think to myself "that would look better if."  It's a lot like a problem solving process to me. Sometimes I finish things and take a step back and think it's not quite right and I'll add something else to complete it. Other times, it takes me a while before I come up with what was missing.
I would love to open my own store again for sure. It is definitely harder than I thought to move to another state and start all over again. I have something really big in the works with my children's hair accessory line right now and hopefully that blows up even bigger in the next 5 years.
The message behind my work is quality and affordability.  I try really hard to make sure everything has been thoroughly inspected and is as nice as it can be. I have gone all over the world to find the best materials.  I don't believe in charging people more than I would pay.  If I have to charge someone more than what I think it's worth, I won't make it.  I want everyone to have the opportunity to wear something nice.  I think most designers love hearing "that's so pretty" or "that's so cute." That's my intent with all my designs, is to make sure the wearer is complimented on it every time they wear it.
My Website is www.theresachodesigns.com and you can find us on facebook at Theresa Cho Designs.  We're actually running a free giveaway contest at the moment of facebook, so it's worth checking out :)

Meet Amber West from Sweet Splendor...
I am an Ohio native, born and raised in the suburbs of Cleveland.  I have been married for almost seven years to TJ and we have two beautiful daughters Hannah and Avah. 

I love the field of medicine and still do. Since the age of eighteen, I have worked in two world renowned hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals.The plan was to finish my degree in Health Science and attend medical school.  While making sweet potato pie just for fun I was told that they were delicious and the rest is history.

I have been making sweet potato pies for several years now, just selling to family and friends.  Three years ago I started my own company, Sweet Splendor, with the intent of only making sweet potato pies.  About two years ago, I approached Heinen's Fine Foods to become a supplier and they originally told me no. Finally, last November they told me yes and now they sell my sweet potato pies in their bakery. I conquered that goal and then I began to create more pies such as Apple, Peach, and Pumpkin.  My business has really taken off the past 11 months and I still can't believe it.  I believe in it so much that I quit my job at University Hospitals to pursue baking full time.

This is the first Avant-Garde show that I will be apart of. What inspires me to create is the fact that people really love my pies and I want to reach as many people as possible with as many varieties as I can.  With fresh, all natural ingredients I can create anything.

My hobby started from people telling me that I make really good pies. I discovered my talent because I have a line of people in my family that are awesome cooks, savory and sweet, so it kind of just hit me.  But what is unique about me is that everything that I have learned from different individuals, I have taken bits and pieces and put my own spin on recipes.

I am a food person, meaning I love good quality food.  When I am creating new recipes I try and think of myself as the consumer and what I would like to buy and taste.  This helps me in the pairing process of what ingredients would compliment one another.

In five years, I see myself running a welcoming storefront serving pies and coffee and   being a supplier of multiple grocery stores.

Many people are in jobs/careers that they may or may not enjoy.  That's the key word, "joy".  I am pretty sure that I would have made an outstanding doctor because I love people and who's to say that one day I won't be.  But for now, I am still reaching people through baking.  Do what you love to do with a leap of faith and make sure you enjoy it.

2014 Summit County Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 10:00am-5:00pm
St. George's Fellowship Center
3204 Ridgewood Rd.
Fairlawn, OH 44333
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN






No comments:

Post a Comment