Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Add Flair to Your Fall Season!

Meet Emily Deeter from Rollin In The Deets...
My name is Emily Deeter. I am going to be 25 in September. My husband Josh and I became parents in February to a baby boy named Judah. I'm also a mom to a very special golden retriever named Jewel.  I'm a stay at home mom but I have a degree in Spanish and dance from the University of Alabama. I'm originally from Birmingham, AL but moved to Tallmadge in October for my husband's job. 

I have been doing this for about a year and this is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!! What inspires me to create is I think that handmade gifts are the best! I always cherish gifts that others make for me so I want to do the same! I'm inspired by the colors of the fabric and the idea of creating something that is useful and cute; something that makes everyday life more exciting! 
I learned to sew when I was young after my mom bought a machine and I have a very close friend who sews with her mom. They have taught me so much. I also received a machine from my sister in law last year and really started sewing more in November. 

I'm a pretty brave crafter, so after I got my machine I decided I was going to sew a zipper pouch because surely sewing a zipper can't be too hard, right?! I learned a lot from trial and error. I was successful and the more I sew the more I learn so I keep doing new things. 
Most of the things I sew come from requests from friends or from a need I have. Then I do a little research and hit the fabric store to indulge in some cotton therapy! After I've gathered supplies, I try out the design and really just sew until I get it right. It's so exciting to think about the future!! I would love to be quilting more at that point and possibly have a business partner. The message behind my work is everyone deserves a thoughtful handmade gift! View our easy shop at: www.rollininthedeets.etsy.com.

Meet Marlene Hill from The Wonders of Wood...
Warren "Skip" and Marlene Hill are great grandparents who have been making wood pictures for several years now.  It started out as a hobby with pictures drawn by a family member that could be copied onto a piece of wood and designed into a lovely picture with different color stains and types of wood. Afterwards, people started  asking for something special- a friend wanted a picture of his dog, a family member wanted a birthday present etc. 
This is our first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show.  We are looking forward to displaying our work. We have only been in 3 craft shows at this point. Our inspiration comes from different sources.  It can be a lovely sunset or a requested lighthouse.  Sometimes it's a dragonfly we saw on a roll of wallpaper that gives us the idea of a design on wood. One of our favorites is the colors in a stained glass window that represents parts of the Bible.  
Warren and his brothers Gary and Greg have always worked with wood.  Each brother has different talents but all working with wood.  Skip has built everything from churches, commercial buildings, houses, toys and special orders for swings etc.  But his favorite is creating this form of art. 
Where do we see ourselves in 5 years?  Well, hopefully we will still be creating something.  Since we are both in our 70's we are  just thankful for each new day.  The message behind our wood pictures is a simple one.  It is for others to see the beauty we see in all types of wood.

Meet Gina Hohman from Gina's iKnit Shop...
I have been knitting for ten years now and this is my first Avant Garde craft show.  I make many items.  I've been making washcloths for 10 years because it's my most requested items.  I make lots of baby items such as hats, bibs, washcloths, and booties.  I make ruffle scarves in many colors.  Ruffle scarves are popular right now and I've been requested to make them.  Most of the items I make have been requested by friends and family.  
I learned to knit by taking classes at JoAnn Fabric.  I learned basic stitches and how to read a pattern from the instructors.  After learning the basics, I began to create items on my own.  I use Ravelry and Pin-interest for ideas to make my own patterns as well.
I make preemie baby hats and send them to Children's Hopsital in Akron, Ohio.  I've given about 200 hats in the last two years.  

The name of my Etsy store is Gina's iKnit Shop.  I opened my store in July of this year. I am a blogger.  The name of the blog is Gina's iKnit Shop. 

2014 Summit County Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 10:00am-5:00pm
St. George's Fellowship Center
3204 Ridgewood Rd.
Fairlawn, OH 44333
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN



No comments:

Post a Comment