Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fashion, Art, and Something Sweet for Spring!

Meet Kelly Kemp from Kemp Custom Confections…
First of all my name is Kelly Kemp. I have been happily married for 18 years and have three  teenage children. I have recently left my everyday  job to pursue Kemp Custom Confections full- time, which is very scary. I have always worked in bakeries and loved to try new things out in decorating and candy. I loved making treats for my children's classrooms and birthdays,so I decided to try and make a business out of it. This is my first year of business,so wish me luck!

I have never participated in the Avant -Garde arts and craft shows,but look forward to meeting everyone and working with all of the venders and customers.

My inspiration comes from  mostly seasonal flavors and colors. I love celebrating the holidays no matter how small. Additionally,the  customers
inspire meet to create new items every show.  For example, I recently added a sugar free line of products to my line.

My creative process occurs in two  ways. First I love growing local confectionary stores looking for new products.  Molds for suckers, new sprinkles,flavor gels, cupcake papers,and  the like send me in to fits of excitement. Secondly, I like to challenge myself to create at least one new product every show I attend.  This process has helped me to build my repertoire  for custom orders.

In five years I hope to have purchased a store front to sell my products.  I would also like to create a mail order system for my products as well.
The main message behind my work is celebrate with fun yummy treats!

Meet Margot from Memories by Margot…
I am a newlywed to an amazing husband that is so supportive of my business! I work full-time as a high school Spanish teacher, and spend much of my time outside of work in my studio working on my personal scrapbooking, but also on developing pre-made and custom made scrapbook pages and albums for Memories by Margot.  


Memories by Margot is the scrapbooking business born out of my love for creating unique scrapbook pages that capture life's many exciting moments.  After gifting scrapbooks to friends and family, and having produced scrapbooks of my own for over 12 years, I finally decided to share the opportunity with others to have creative, unique, and personalized pages that capture life's special moments. 

I am relatively new to the craft-show circuit, so this will be my 1st Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. I am very excited to be part of such a great show, and am very much looking forward to participating in shows down the road!
 I am most inspired by the events in my life that I get to share with my family and friends! Attending weddings, family vacations, new babies, holidays together, and the everyday fun we have together brings me so much joy, and I love capturing these memories in my scrapbooks!  It’s my mission to provide this opportunity to others!

Though I have always been a scrapbooker, it wasn’t until my husband and my close friends encouraged me to sell my work! When the people closest to you are your biggest cheerleaders, it builds a confidence to launch your own business!

The majority of my “creative process” is driven by the joy that others get from the Memories by Margot pages and completed albums. My favorite moments are getting a thank you e-mail or a message that somebody was moved to tears by the gift of my work! It very much validates the time and thought that goes into each page, and drives me to want to bring Memories by Margot to more customers! 
In five years, I would like to see my business have a presence at even more craft shows, and I hope to find myself OVERWHELMED with online orders. Though this business was started with the goal of supporting my own hobby of scrapbooking, who wouldn’t want to have a successful and profitable business?!?!

The message behind Memories by Margot pre-made and custom made pages is to provide creative, unique, and personalized pages to capture life’s precious moments at an affordable price. These pages make great gifts when added to picture frames and shadow boxes!
Visit my website at: www.memoriesbymargot.com

Yvonne Davis from Grasshoppin by Yvonne…
 My name is Yvonne Davis and I am 37 yrs old. I grew up between Thompson and Perry and currently live in Rock Creek.  I enjoy activities outside with nature like bike riding, canoeing creek hiking and walking the beach.  I love family/friend gatherings where we gather to eat, share stories, laugh and play games.

This summer will be my second full year of vending shows but this is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show.

What inspires me to create is not always the same. Sometimes ideas will just come to me and sometimes I will see something that will inspire me to tweek it and make it my own. I have always been somewhat creative, it’s just been hiding for awhile. What brought it out has been a conglomeration of things. The big push to vend my creations was getting let go of my job...A Blessing in disguise! My creative process is simply a Blessing from The Higher Power.

 I think my wood burning and paintings are my talents. How I discovered wood burning is my ex-boyfriends mother gave me hers and said “here, you do something with this". I found some wood, borrowed my step dad’s sander and thought ok, now what do I burn on this? I have always thought henna designs were so pretty so I went on line and found some inspiration and away we went! The fairy paintings came from an old Time magazine add from the 50's or so. This beautiful lady standing on the edge of a cliff just taking in the glories of the universe (well, that's how I interpreted it). I love fairly pictures so I thought how cool would it be to get a tattoo of a fairy on a cliff side. I had a tattoo artist draw me up one on paper (because I could not draw people) but I didn't like it. Needless to say I didn't get the tattoo.

Years later, when I bought my house my friends threw me a house warming party and brought a very large canvas and paints for all that came to paint me an abstract. Each person was to do one stroke and then I would have my friends and family's love with me in my home with this picture. It turned out obnoxious! I felt bad to not have it hanging so I thought I would use it to paint this fairy picture on. That is how I got started painting. 

In five years, I am seeing myself having a store, possibly like a local art co-op. The message behind my work is inspiration, beauty within yourself, peace, love, caring, sharing...anything positive! Whatever kind of good it makes you feel.

Meet Lindsay Jean-Marie from LJM…
I’ve been designing and studying the art of crochet and knit for over 10 years thanks to my artistic grandmother and mother.

 My goal is to design my knitwear collection to encourage women to express themselves with one of-a-kind wearable art accessories. 
With my unique open weave design, each piece has been created to bring sophistication and sex appeal to all of the confident professional women in the world.
My motto:
Beauty = Confidence
Confidence = Success

Women who are Confident wear Wearable Art Pieces


2014 Summit County Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday April 12th- 10:00am-5:00pm
Sunday April 13th- 11:00am-5:00pm
St. George's Fellowship Centre
3204 Ridgewood Rd.
Fairlawn, OH 44333
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment