Saturday, November 24, 2012

Personal Expression Artists & Crafters


Meet Allison Fensel from Art by Ali...
I’m a stay-at-home mom and my kids have gotten old enough for me to finally get back to my passions of art and all that includes. I have been drawing and painting for as long as I can remember, I went to school for fine arts. Like many others, when I started a family I did not have time to continue to pursue my art.
I have always been artistic and have been drawing, painting and trying new projects for as long as I can remember.

I get my creativity and inspiration from just about everything around me. I love nature and I love seeing my family and what they do. There is a lot of creativity within them, and that’s where I get my inspiration.
How I got started in my business... I decided to start to do face painting parties. From there, I figured since I was doing that I might as well start doing some craft shows. Particularly since I had more time to sell and I am always looking to try new projects.

I really love seeing how unique each face painting comes out. Even if I am trying to do the same thing over and over again, there is always something different each time. I generally like it more and more every time.

Meet Kristin Hadari from eleven:eleven...
Kristin: proud mama. in love. laughing addict. big breakfast eater. project making. emotional about movies. dr. pepper enthusiast. classic over thinker. in pursuit of an amazing life. eleven:eleven.

My scarves have an infinity design, meaning no beginning and no end. They are one big circle that can be worn in a variety of ways.These infinity scarves can be worn long, or they can be wrapped around your neck 2 or 3 times.

The line is sorted by collections, and each collection consists of a different type of fabric:

The Southern Belle Collection: This is the flannel collection that comes in all varieties from lumberjack to princess cowgirl. There are a variety of weights suitable for indoors and out.The 

Girl Next Door Collection: These are the classic and simple cotton scarves. Patterns are across the board but the polka dots and chevron are the favorites!

The Urban Chic Collection: The jersey knits are soft and flexible which expands the tying options and ways to wear. The solids can be worn with almost anything.

The Cosmo Gal Collection: These are made from polyester fabrics, and tend to be a little more dressy for your nights out. This will take the little black dress to the next level.

The Kristin Collection: My hand picked favorites in all fabrics.

The Lil' Collection: Because in fashion, age doesn't matter, these are the little fashionista girl's version of scarves in a variety of fabrics.

The Mom and Lil' Collection: Like mama like daughter! This line is made in complementary fabrics to show off the hip mom and daughter duo.
I've been doing this for only around 3 months. I am a newbie. I have always been into fashion and I think much if it comes from there. I am also an immediate gratification type of person so if I want something and can make it, I usually just do.

I got into this hobby because honestly, I wanted to buy so many of them I just thought it would bemore economical to make them myself. Then friends started wanting them and others wanting them for gifts as so on and so. The journey still continues!
 

My creative process is very personal. I usually create things that I would want for myself, so the people who like it and enjoy the products, I usually have a small unique connection with. 

My favorite part of the process is having other people relate to my products and purchase them for their wardrobe or to give as gifts. The message behind my work is "Give your style a little twist!"


Meet Alison Nieman from A Nieman Design...
My name is Alison Nieman. I graduated from The Ohio State University with my degree in Interior Design but am mostly using it part time right now. I am a part-time crochet crafter and blogger of the blog A. Nieman Design http://aniemandesign.blogspot.com. I grew up outside of Columbus and have been in the Akron area for almost 6 years now. I love the area and am glad to call NEO my home!
I have been crocheting for as long as I can remember. My mom and my grandmother both taught me in their own ways when I was younger. I have been crocheting as a business since 2006 when I opened my first Etsy shop A. Nieman Crochet. This, believe it or not is my first craft show as a crocheter and I am excited to be a part of it!

I get my creativity from my mom. She got me started crafting and opened my mind to the creative world. Crocheting is my outlet to be creative and it also really helps me relax which is a big plus.
How I got started in my business… I was in college and started crocheting myself items. I was looking to start selling items to make some extra money. I started on Ebay and as soon as I found Etsy, I knew I would be in for the long run.

A lot of times my creative process starts with the yarn. Colors, feels, etc can determine what I am making. I also kinda make things up as I go and follow my creative instincts. If it looks good as I go, I keep going. If it doesn't, I have been known to completely tear apart a whole project halfway through.

I think what I enjoy the most in what I do is the pride and the appreciation that goes into each piece. The fact that I make everything with my own hands is something special. You don't get that with machine made products.

Check out these featured vendors at the 2012 Summit County Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This show will feature a large selection of talented handmade artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to Jade's No Kill Rescue for animal rescue.


2012 Summit County Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, December 2, 2012 11:00am-6:00pm
The Tangier
532 West Market St.
Akron, OH 44303
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:






No comments:

Post a Comment